Koufman Frederick Litigation Team

Modification/Contempt in Boston

If there has been a material change in the circumstances of your life or in the life of your ex-spouse, you may now be in a position to seek a modification of the terms of your divorce.

If your former spouse or soon to be ex-spouse is not complying with an existing court order, you may now be in a position to seek a sanction for his/her contempt of that court order.

At KLG, we have the experience you need to protect your best interests, and that of your children, by, when necessary, effectively pursuing a complaint for modification or one for contempt.

Massachusetts Modification

Many modification cases involve care of children, such as child custody and visitation. In modifying the terms of a divorce agreement, you need to show a material change of circumstances. The courts may look at:

  • Change of income
  • Loss of job due to illness
  • Relocation
  • Remarrying
  • Health or disability
  • Ability to provide a stable environment

Our attorneys will take the time to identify exactly which of the agreement terms can be modified in your case. We will then do our homework and demonstrate to the best of our abilities a change in your circumstance that warrants the modification.

In cases where one party is not following a court order, a contempt action may be filed. The courts will look at your circumstances and judge accordingly. A person can be in contempt if he or she does not comply with the terms regarding:

  • Spousal support
  • Child support
  • Visitation
  • Property division

Request an appointment

Koufman Law Group, LLC is a trusted and effective litigation law firm located in Boston.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Submit Request

What Our Clients Say



145 Tremont Street, 4th Floor, Boston, MA 02111

617-423-2212 or 978-745-2212